Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sunday Student Artist Spotlight: Nicholas D.!

This week's Student Artist Spotlight is Nicholas D.!

Nicholas is an 11th grader at Sayreville War Memorial High School in Parlin, NJ.  His art teacher is Jennifer LaScala.

In regards to his Journey Though Art, Nicholas writes, "My name is Nicholas Diaz and I am a student artist that goes to Sayreville War Memorial HS. The art class that I take now, which is ceramics, has really changed my life because it made me see my true potential of creativity. Freshman year I always passed by the ceramics room every day and I didn't even know what that class was. Every time I passed by the class I'd say to myself, "What is that class?" It looks like fun!" It was because I saw the nice ceramic works in the glass showcase. Then when I arrived in that class the first day or school sophomore year, I was so surprised that it was the one I picked and it was like a dream come true. The ceramic projects that my teacher assigned motivated me to sketch more; before I took this class I almost quit drawing. The projects that I created in that class motivated me even more to sketch out some cool ideas, and to exceed expectations on my coursework. All that showed me that progress is not linear and I should be patient and I should not give up. My teacher also gave me contests to enter, like Clay in Mind, where high school students compete from the state of NJ in entering ceramic works. My ceramic project was selected as 1 of 20 to be put on display at The Clay Studio in Philadelphia, PA. That was the first time my where my work got displayed somewhere! I also did another competition this year, the Skutt Peep Show, and my work was selected to be on display at the National Art Educators Conference in Minneapolis, Minnesota and is now a part of Skutt's traveling Peep Show! When everyone in the school found out Ingot picked, everyone was congratulating me. I felt so successful! Another one of my ceramic works is going on display at the Middlesex County Teen Art Festival at Middlesex County College where the public is going to see it. The last thing I have to say is that art is my true passion and that I wouldn't trade it for the world and I am going to keep exceeding expectations when I make something."




Congratulations, Nicholas!

If you would like to recognize your student artist for our spotlight segment, please fill out the google form: https://forms.gle/3mnwMBoVJoaqbuph6

No comments: