Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sunday Student Artist Spotlight: Anya M.!

This week's Student Artist Spotlight is Anya M.!

Anya is a 7th grader at William Allen Middle School in Moorsetown.  Her art teacher is Julia Mooney.

In regards to her Journey Though Art, Anya writes, "I think fine art makes people start to think about the world around us and learn about it to understand it more. This year I am in Honors Art and I've made work that I love and work that I've struggled with. I made a portrait of Amelia Earhart as part of our class's Visionary Women exhibition, because she is the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. I think she is really fascinating because she did not care how no one had done such a big accomplishment and even though she knew it was dangerous she overcame her fear. She ignored social norms and pursued her passion. I also created an original embroidery design featuring a bee. This design acknowledged the work of Eloise Renouf because she focuses a lot on nature and a bee is a vital part of nature. I don’t think crafts like these should be considered traditional “women’s crafts” because it doesn’t matter what gender you are to make art. We looked at lots of embroidery that broke the rules and blurred the line between craft and fine art."











Congratulations, Anya!

If you would like to recognize your student artist for our spotlight segment, please fill out the google form: https://forms.gle/3mnwMBoVJoaqbuph6

No comments: